Basic B.Sc.Nursing is a 4-year undergraduate course recognised by the Indian Nursing Council. It opens a lot of job opportunities in the healthcare sector. Students can secure high paying jobs in various hospitals. Candidates can also pursue higher studies in MSc Nursing and can also choose a specialisation of their interests. The programme will train the students to take up decisions on their own in different nursing situations, all within the scope of the field. It will also train them to protect the rights of the patients and groups included. The programme will further train the students to take up research initiatives in Nursing as well as apply an evidence-based form of practice
Candidates who are interested in serving the society as a nurse and midwives must pursue this course. Candidates who are compassionate in serving the patients and assisting doctors to treat them can also pursue the B.Sc. Nursing course.
The aim of the undergraduate nursing program is to:
- Prepare graduates to assume responsibilities as professional, competent nurses and midwives in providing promotive, preventive, curative and rehabilitative services.
- Prepare nurses who can make independent decisions in nursing situations, protect the rights of and facilitate individuals and groups in pursuit of health, function in the hospital, community nursing services, and conduct research studies in the areas of nursing practice. They are also expected to assume the role of teacher, supervisor, and manager in a clinical/ public health setting/ school of nursing.
On completion of the four year B.Sc Nursing program the graduate will be able to
- Apply knowledge from physical, biological and behavioral science, medical including alternative systems and nursing in providing nursing care to individuals, families and communities.
- Demonstrate understanding of life style and other factors, which affect health individuals and groups.
- Providing nursing care based on steps of nursing process in collaboration with individuals and groups.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skill in making decisions in all situations in order to provide quality care.
- Utilize the latest trends and technology in providing health care.
- Provide promotive, preventive, and restorative health services in line with the National Health Policies and programmes. 7. Practice within the framework of code of ethics and professional conduct, and acceptable standards of practice within the legal boundaries.
- Communicative effectively with individuals and groups, and members of the health team in order to promote effective interpersonal relationships and team work.
- Demonstrate skills in teaching to individuals and groups in clinical/communities health settings/ School of Nursing
- Participate effectively as members of the health team in health care delivery system.
- Demonstrate leadership and managerial skills in clinical/community health settings.
- Conduct need based research studies in various settings and utilize the research findings to improve the quality of care.
- Demonstrate awareness, interest and contribute towards advancement of self and of the profession.
ELIGIBILITY FOR ADMISSION:
– The minimum age for admission shall be 17 years on or before 31st Dec. of the year of admission.
– The minimum educational requirements shall be the passing of :
– Higher secondary school certificate examination (12 years course)
Senior school certificate examination (10+2), pre-degree examination (10+2)
An equivalent with 12 years schooling from a recognized board or university with minimum of 45 % aggregate marks (40% marks for SC, ST, for MBC, OBC candidates in part – III subjects of Physics, Chemistry & Biology / Botany & Zoology) and should have English as one of the subject.
– Candidate shall be medically fit.
SELECTION OF CANDIDATES
Selection of the candidates should be based on the merit of the entrance examination held by university or competent authority or as per regulation of the University from time to time.
|Course Duration||4 Years|
|Weeks available per academic year||52 Weeks|
|Gazetted Holiday||3 weeks|
|Examination (Including Preparatory)||4 weeks|
|Available Weeks||37 Weeks|
|Hours per Weeks :-||40 Hours|
|Practical||30 Hours per week|
|Theory||10 Hours per week|
|Hours Available per academic year (1st to 3rd year)||1480 (37 wks X 40 hrs) X 3 = 4440 hrs|
|Hours available for 4th year||540 hrs (14 weeks X 40 hours per week)|
|Hours available for internship during 4th year||1152 hours (24 weeks X 48 hours per week)|
|Total Hours available for 4th year||1692 hours|
|Total hours available for 4 years||6132 hours|
COURSE OF INSTRUCTION
|Subject Code||Subject||Theory hrs
(Class and Lab)
|1.||1290201101||Anatomy & Physiology (A&B)||120||–||120||8|
|2.||1290201102||Nutrition & Biochemistry (A&B)||90||–||90||6|
|7.||1290201107||Introduction to computers||15+30||–||45||1+1|
|9.||1290201109||Library Work /Self Study||50||–||50||3|
|11.||1290201111||Practical – I (Nursing Foundations)||200||450||650||7+7.5=15|
(Adult including Geriatrics)-I
|3.||1290201203||Pharmacology, Pathology & Genetics (A & B)||90||–||90||6|
|4.||1290201204||Community Health Nursing-I||90||_||90||6+2|
|5.||1290201205||Communication and Educational Technology||60+30||–||90||4+1|
|6.||1290201206||Library Work / Self Study||50||–||50||3|
|8.||1290201208||Community Health Nursing-I||–||135||135||2|
|9.||1290201209||Medical Surgical Nursing Practical
(Adult including Geriatrics)-I
|1.||1290201301||Medical Surgical Nursing – II
(Adult including Geriatrics)
|2.||1290201302||Child Health Nursing||90||–||90||6|
|3.||1290201303||Mental Health Nursing||90||–||90||6|
|4.||1290201304||Nursing Research & Statistics||45||*||45||3|
|5.||1290201305||Library Work / Self Study||50||–||50||3|
|7.||1290201307||Practical – II Medical Surgical Nursing||–||460||460||8|
|8.||1290201308||Practical – Child Health Nursing||–||270||270||5|
|9.||1290201309||Practical – Mental Health Nursing||–||270||270||5|
|1.||1290201401||Midwifery and Obstetrical Nursing||90||–||90||6|
|2.||1290201402||Community Health Nursing – II
Including the concept of Middle Level Health
|3.||1290201403||Management of Nursing Services and Education||50+25||–||
|4.||1290201404||Practical – VI Midwifery and Obstetrical Nursing||–||180||180||3|
|5.||1290201405||Practical – VII Community Health Nursing||–||135||135||3|
|Basic BSc Nursing||60|